SPOT™ was installed in Luoyang, Henan in China in July 2000. The system was operated as a pilot for market penetration into China. The customer was interested in remote reading of power and water, especially testing the technology of on site meter modification, which is considered to be a big advantage.
The system included a basic configuration with the following functions:
- Power and water meters modified on site by special sensors.
- 57 end nodes connected to 147 power meters and 57 water meters.
- A DCU unit in powerline network with NTR end nodes and PSTN link with the Scroll™ central operation.
- The system operated in the TOU mode with 3 tariffs and scheduler for 4 seasons and in a load profile mode for water meters.
- Remote upload for TOU, meter parameters and network configuration.
- Self network configurtion.
- Defined periods for cyclic outbound access with DCU's.
The project was successful, and the project manager stated that:
"The site is checked periodically for communication coverage, accurate meter reading, configuration analysis, PLC analysis and log reports of communication access. According to our records, the site maintains 100% communication coverage, with 100% meter reading accuracy within any 24 hours cycle, verified numerous times by visual readings, which were compared to the electronic readout."