The Smart Grid is evolving from an infrastructure for power supply and operation of dumb devices and simple loads into a two way communication grid that enables the addition of new services and intelligent products aimed at energy savings, cost reduction and increased reliability.
Energy conservation affords energy independence and reduces global warming.
Smart metering technologies are the key for developing an effective Smart Grid.
Smart metering offers consumers, utilities suppliers, network operators and regulators a wide range of useful tools and services designed to produce a more efficient energy world.
Every facility that draws power from or contributes power to the grid becomes part of the Smart Grid and needs to adapt to changing market and regulatory needs by:
- Replacing today's meters with smart meters that are actually intelligent end points.
- Adding new control devices that complement the new smart meters.
- Connecting smarter devices that extend the Smart Grid beyond the meter.
- Supporting consumers with real time data as a tool for planning efficiency usage and cost savings.
- Using an open platform that brings intelligent distributed control to the end points of the grid.
Spot™ is an intelligent platform which addresses these needs.